Tea time in the studio, sewing tea towels
Filtering by Tag: studio
Little Apple in the studio, on her new favorite perch, rump to rump with Sally Stitch the dress form.
Look familiar? Lilleputt has moved! (To the other side of the wall). Earlier this week I began with some subtle hinting: “Gosh, the evening light in the studio is so pretty… wouldn’t this make a lovely bedroom?” I never thought he’d go for it. But a couple days later my chef came to me with the suggestion that Lilleputt move to the big room. There is still plenty of unpacking to be done (ignore the clutter)…. but look at all that space!
It’s no longer “I can’t make everything fit”, it’s everything ALMOST fits! We even pulled the desk in to make it a shared work space; and it’s nice having company. It’s nice being able to fit company, really. I have a feeling the move will continue to be a work in progress as I tackle organizing projects, but the change feels good!
Now all I need is a tall cutting table to replace the folding card table to make it perfect…
Back to my day in the studio with Julia! (And Apple; I don’t think she left that basket the whole time we were working). It took us some time to get going, remembering what we had done at our last meet over a month ago: which cut pieces included seam allowance, if the bodice would be backed as well as lined… so this time, we took notes. Jennah did not make it up to Maine this trip (so we were lacking a photographer as well), but we’re planning on doing another fitting at our next meet.
Previously on the bodice we had ruched the sheer, outer silk and stitched it down to the bodice pieces. After redetermining what we had decided for seam allowance (and writing it down) I got to sewing the bodice pieces together. Not exactly a relaxing way to start off the morning, but we’ll have to wait till Jennah’s fitting to finalize the seams. Meanwhile Julia worked on the cotton lining for the bodice, sewing channels for the boning we will insert along the seam lines.
It was up with the mattress when we began working on the skirt. We finished both bolts of the two silks we chose, and are working with slightly less outer silk than we had hoped. To fix this we are simply ruching the outer layer separately, and somewhat less than the under layer of the skirt. Given the slippery quality too, it was difficult to establish straight edges when cutting the skirt pieces.
After sewing french seams on both layers of the skirt, we took turns sewing basting stitches and gathering the waist. Below Julia is working on the soft, sheer outer skirt.
And roughly laying out the pieces… you start to get the idea that we might just have a dress in the end! Here the outer bodice is sewn together; next time we will be attaching the bodice to it’s lining and inserting the boning… and attaching the skirt! Hopefully we’ll all managed to end up in the same city for more than a day.
…And cat break.
I love organizing. I keep thinking if I just get the right shelf, or drawers in here I can make better use of the space… and I think this shelf is the perfect addition. Nice shallow shelves so everything is easily viewable and accessible… However, it is also fair to say that cleaning and organizing is one of my best tools for procrastinating. Luckily the studio is in pretty good shape now, so I’ll try to put the organizing aside. On to color matching! The print company I use has completely changed their color profile. I got their new chart, and am waiting on samples back of my previous designs to see if I need to change the pantones… (from what I hear from others, I will need to update the colors so my designs don’t look faded when I print them). Luckily my designs are simple, flat colors with only 2-4 colors in each design, so I’m thinking this shouldn’t take too long.