Back to my day in the studio with Julia! (And Apple; I don’t think she left that basket the whole time we were working). It took us some time to get going, remembering what we had done at our last meet over a month ago: which cut pieces included seam allowance, if the bodice would be backed as well as lined… so this time, we took notes. Jennah did not make it up to Maine this trip (so we were lacking a photographer as well), but we’re planning on doing another fitting at our next meet.
Previously on the bodice we had ruched the sheer, outer silk and stitched it down to the bodice pieces. After redetermining what we had decided for seam allowance (and writing it down) I got to sewing the bodice pieces together. Not exactly a relaxing way to start off the morning, but we’ll have to wait till Jennah’s fitting to finalize the seams. Meanwhile Julia worked on the cotton lining for the bodice, sewing channels for the boning we will insert along the seam lines.
It was up with the mattress when we began working on the skirt. We finished both bolts of the two silks we chose, and are working with slightly less outer silk than we had hoped. To fix this we are simply ruching the outer layer separately, and somewhat less than the under layer of the skirt. Given the slippery quality too, it was difficult to establish straight edges when cutting the skirt pieces.
After sewing french seams on both layers of the skirt, we took turns sewing basting stitches and gathering the waist. Below Julia is working on the soft, sheer outer skirt.
And roughly laying out the pieces… you start to get the idea that we might just have a dress in the end! Here the outer bodice is sewn together; next time we will be attaching the bodice to it’s lining and inserting the boning… and attaching the skirt! Hopefully we’ll all managed to end up in the same city for more than a day.
…And cat break.